NCCI - THE COAL INSTITUTE, was organized by coal representatives of the Eastern U.S.. in the spring of 1946 at the Sheraton Hotel, High Point, N.C..
Later in the year, our By-laws were adopted, and on November 13, 1946, the Hon. Thad Eure, Secretary of the State of North Carolina, presented our corporate charter to us in the O'Henry Hotel, Greensboro N.C..
The membership was subsequently enlarged to include representatives of the railroads, coal-consuming installations, industries, and utilities, as well as manufacturers of coal-burning and handling equipment, and to coal-related service companies with membership now encompassing the Eastern United States.
The NCCI believes in the importance of preserving and promoting the worldwide coal industry, enriching coal knowledge, and inspiring coal support for the future.
is to support and financially assist public educational efforts pertaining specifically to the use and benefits of coal and the coal industry in general, to educate the membership by providing the highest level of quality informational programs in the coal industry, and to provide a business environment for our member companies consistent with the Vision of NCCI.